Thursday, March 4, 2021

Portfolio Project 2021: Plot line dilemma

 Hello everyone! I’m back and in this blog we’re going to talk about a dilemma I’m having in terms of the plot of this film. 

So we know that I’ve chosen the plot about two sisters being separated because the oldest one is going to college. My issue is that I’m not sure if I want to have the older sister present the entire time. I’m going to try my best to explain what I mean. The basic idea of my plot is that a sister and her older sister spend time together the summer before she moved off to college by completing all of the items on their bucket list. I was thinking about this and I thought to myself “what if the sister leaves for college during the film?” But then how would I incorporate the bucket list into the film if the sister leaves for college in the film? The sisters completing the bucket list is essentially the main event of the film but having the sister leave for college in the film would mean the focus would shift dramatically.

I definitely want to incorporate the feelings of the younger sister in regards to get sister leaving. I want to show her development as she learns to be independent and realizes that her sister isn’t leaving her forever. If the sister leaves for college then that would allow for the focus to be in the younger sister and her self discovery as an individual during this time away from her sister. I love the bucket list concept though because it shows their relationship dynamic as siblings but it also would align with the coming of age concept. 

Both of these directions are great but for different reasons. One idea allows me to convey the thoughts and feelings of the younger sister while the other allows me to portray the wild and free coming of age concept closely associated with teen movies. I’m not sure which way I’m leaning towards at the moment but I’ll update you either way! See you in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment