Sunday, February 28, 2021

Portfolio Project 2021: Inspiration For Plot Lines

Hello! This blog is focusing on the plot idea that I had for this project and how I'm thinking of tweaking it a little bit because I think it would be a nice addition to the story. I had two main ideas for the plot of my film which were about sisters that were bound to be separated because the oldest was going to college and a woman in the music industry fighting oppression and gender inequality. I have decided to go with the first option with the two sisters being separated but I'm adding to it. At first, I wanted to slightly combine the two ideas and have the younger sister in the first plot idea be a musician that has stage fright. I thought that shifting the focus of this idea would have been wonderful. There would essentially be two conflicts: her dealing with her sister's absence and embarking on her musical journey even though she has stage fright. Then I started thinking of how interested I would be in that topic and I realized that I would want to focus on one of the two concepts instead of trying to develop too many different things and cram them into one. I want this to be a cohesive piece but I also want to have fun developing the plot so I decided to make another change. This change was actually inspired by another student in another class!

For the film project, we had to collaborate with writers from a creative writing class. This one writer had the idea of one sister who was carrying out the bucket list that she and her sister created when they were younger. The one sister is in the hospital so she focuses on completing all of the tasks on their bucket list. I really liked this idea because I immediately began thinking of shot ideas and a way to incorporate this into my own story. This was an inspiration for me and this story and I think that this is what I want the story to encompass. The younger sister is upset that the older one is moving away to go to college so she decides that the summer before she leaves, they're going to spend as much time together completing the tasks on the bucket list.

I'm not sure if I have to ask for permission to use the bucket list concept because it was inspired by another creator but I'm altering it to align with my current plotline. I don't think it would be wrong because I'm not stealing her story, I'm using a similar concept. I'll try to get in contact with the writer of that story and just make sure that using that bucket list idea is okay, just for reassurance! I'll see you in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment