Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Portfolio Project 2021: Film Genre Considerations

Slow your roll Trin!

Hello everyone! This weekend I really took the time to reevaluate the direction I want to go in for this project. I felt like I was trying too hard to come up with an idea as quickly as possible instead of taking the time to really think about all of my options. I don't want to marry an idea the first week of brainstorming so I'm slowing myself down and trying to just come up with a few other ideas that I may want to consider for the genre and plot of my film. 

This blog is meant for me to get all of my ideas out and figure out what it is that I really want to do in terms of genre.

Genre Considerations

There are 3 genres that I'm mainly considering for this project: Comedy, Thriller/ Mystery, and Drama. I was contemplating having the film be a dystopian film because I liked working with the conventions of that genre during the film project but I want to work with a different genre for my portfolio project. For last year's project, I worked with the crime/ thriller genres and I honestly love that genre and I personally consume a lot of media that falls into those categories. Working with the crime genre again would be familiar to me since last year's production was in the crime genre but again, I want to switch things up and operate a bit outside of my comfort zone, but no too far out of my comfort zone! I don't want to drive myself mad! 



Comedy is a genre that I haven't worked with before and I think it would be fun to create a piece within this genre! I think comedy is a genre I've stayed away from because everyone's sense of humor is different and not all audience members are going to understand or even like some of the comedic moments or elements that are incorporated in a production. This is a major fear of mine because you not only have to worry about the viewer liking your production but they might not get the joke or the purpose of certain aspects of the production. 



The mystery genre is closely related to the thriller and crime genres because they usually go hand in hand with each other. The mystery genre is usually paired with one of those two other genres or if the film itself isn't explicitly identified as a mystery, there are still some mysterious and suspenseful elements incorporated throughout. I like mysteries and I enjoy watching them so working with this genre would be interesting for me.



Drama productions are typically paired with another genre like action drama, romantic drama, teen drama, etc. This genre is so broad and encompasses a large range of genres because drama films are meant to be serious and typically represent a slice of life by portraying the conflict a character is facing. The drama genre would work if paired with another genre that I would choose.

Once I figure out which genres I want to work with and which plotlines best align with those genres, I'll be able to start my genre research to better understand the conventions of those genres. I'll see you in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment