Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Portfolio Project 2021: Second Group Meeting Notes

Hello! Today we had our group discussions and instead of having the entire class meet at once we broke out into 2 groups and shared what we wanted to about our projects. If you recall, a few blogs ago I made a list of 3 topics that I wanted to discuss during today's meeting:

  • The plot of the film: give them a synopsis of the plot and what their thoughts are on it
  • Ideas for crucial shots to film for the trailer (concepts for the trailer)
  • Potential recommendations for films or characters to research

After I gave them the summary of the plot Sil said that she immediately thought of earth jewel tones. I was originally thinking of having black and red be the main character's signature color combination but Sil had an interesting perspective on the color palette of my project. Maybe instead of having the main character's costuming consist of black and red, I can make it earth jewel tones like emerald green, garnet, ruby, sapphire, etc. Or I could make the home of the main character look vibrant while she is dressed in black and red to create contrast. Since the characters are sisters maybe the older sister wears earth jewel tones while her younger sister wears blacks and reds or vise versa. There are many ways that I can incorporate these colors so that both trailers are visually appealing. 

I shared with my group members how unmotivated and lost I've been feeling about my blogs and they helped me figure that out as well. Mason recommended that one of my blogs be about color theory. We did study colors and what they symbolize last year in AS level so I can make a blog about that in the future. 

The second topic that I brought up to them was potential shots for the trailer. Isa suggested that there be a lot of close-ups of the main character which I agreed with. Having closeups and mid shots of the older sister is definitely something that I want to implement into the first trailer. The other aspect of the trailer that was brought up was the incorporation of the men that the older sister has used in the past. I was thinking about having these men be briefly referenced while the older sister looks through a keepsake photo album but my group members thought of other ideas. The use of shadowed male figures seemed to be a favored idea. I let them know that I might have access to only one male so I can use him to act as the young man that the older sister is trying to pursue. I don't have access to many male actors at the moment, especially older ones.

The second thing that I wanted to ask them for was film recommendations. I had a few films in mind but I wanted variety and to see if they knew of any other films that used the femme fatale trope. There were a good amount of film recommendations made which made me happy because I'm excited to look into them and see what they're about! I took a picture of the chat where they put the names of their recommendations because I didn't want to forget any of them. 


Mason recommended the film "The Hustle" starring Rebel Wilson and Anne Hathaway. I had heard of this movie but I didn't get the chance to watch it. I think I'm going to carve out time during my break to research these films and watch a few of them to get even more inspired than I already am!



Sil had recommended a few other films for me to check out! 

  • Fanny and Alexander
  • Lola Montes
  • Anna Karenina 
  • In The Mood For Love


I was hoping to get inspired and feel motivated again and I honestly do feel better after having this group discussion. My peers helped me come up with new ways to think about this project and the mise en scene elements. I'm glad we had this discussion because it has put things into a different perspective for me and I'm re-evaluating some of my ideas. I'm going to conduct film/ character research over the break because I'll have more time to analyze the films and take good notes so that I can blog about them. (Side note: I'm super proud of how this blog turned out lol) See you in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment