Saturday, March 27, 2021

Portfolio Project 2021: Film Trailer Research

Hello everyone! After watching the trailer for The Hustle (The Hustle: Trailer) I have a few notes that I wanted to share. 

Chronological order of events:

-It started off with Penny scheming a man on the train that she meets Josephine on.

-She asks to be mentored by Josephine

-Voiceover from Josephine explaining to Penny the basics of being a femme fatale

-Introduction of male target

-Discussion of manipulation of men

-Inclusion of shots of main characters from the movie

General Notes:

-High key lighting

-Voiceover

-The editing pace fluctuated between fast and slow (towards the end of the trailer the editing was faster)

-Pregnant pauses for comedic effect

-The music is upbeat and references women 

-Editing effects are used throughout the trailer

-Diverse shot types and footage 

The voiceover aspect of the trailer is something that I want to utilize in my trailer. It fits well and will help explain the plot of the movie a lot better than if I didn't include it. I use voiceovers in almost all of my productions because they are so helpful in communicating your story to the audience.

Like I mentioned in the last blog I loved the montage of Josephine training Penny. I'm going to include a montage in my trailer of the femme fatale training process that the younger sister goes through. Since my film is a comedy this would serve as a comedic element in my trailer.

It wasn't discussed if Josephine ever killed any of the men she schemes but I liked how murder wasn't touched on in the film. I talked about it in a previous blog about how I don't like the idea of the older sister murdering the men she schemes. I've been inspired to not include murder in my film. I'll just imply that the men she's schemed are either unaware of the fact that they've been scammed. I could also not discuss the previous men she's schemed. It would be easier to just focus on the new target that she has her eyes on and how training her younger sister will benefit her.

I have to create 2 different trailers that serve a similar purpose, engaging my target audience. I have to identify my target audience first in order to successfully do this so I’m going to research my target audience. Once my target audience is identified then I can customize my trailer to align with their likes and preferences. 

This trailer was wonderful! Watching a trailer is very different when you’re analyzing it and when you’re just watching it for entertainment. I enjoyed watching it and it had comedic moments in there that I liked. Since this is my first time working with the comedy genre, this trailer is going to be my guide so when I plan out my trailers, I have an example to follow.  See you in the next blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment