Friday, March 5, 2021

Portfolio Project 2021: Plot Twist!

 We're switching it up!

Good morning everybody! I was brushing my teeth last night and I had this idea come to mind and I got so excited! I was going to blog about it last night but it was almost 2 o'clock in the morning and if I tried to blog about it, nothing would've made sense and the blog wouldn't have served its purpose of effectively communicating my idea. I was actually just taking a practice exam for AICE Psych but I couldn't wait any longer to get this blog started and get my idea out of my head! I'm thrilled that this idea came to me last night because it's exactly what I want in terms of theme and concept so let's talk about it!


A few weeks ago I watched a Youtube video that discussed the manic pixie dream girl trope used in film productions. A manic pixie dream girl is classified as a "bubbly, shallow cinematic creature that exists solely in the fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures." That's the elaborate way of saying that men fall in love with wild and free women because they make them feel alive again. 





A lot of people misidentify quirky female love interests as manic pixie dream girls. It was interesting seeing the breakdown of this character and the distinct differences between a manic pixie girl and a quirky woman.


This video was published by the Youtube channel Trope Anatomy. I'd recommend checking it out! I've never heard of this classification of character before but I was intrigued by what they were talking about. This is not the kind of character that I want to develop for my project but I thought I would mention it in this blog because it's relevant to the type of character that I discovered shortly after I discovered this character type!

I watched another Youtube video right after the first video mentioned because it was on my suggested video list. I watched the entire video and it was fascinating! The man in the video was explaining the femme fatale trope and I loved learning about the traits of this female character. Femme fatale is French and translates to 'fatal woman' in English. I have a history of working with the concept of female empowerment in my productions so creating this is kind of character is right up my alley! I completely forgot about this video that I watched and it wasn't until I was brushing my teeth last night that I remembered this video and the femme fatale trope. This trope is perfect and I immediately started thinking of plots that involve a female fatale. Now I have something to research, films that use the female fatale trope. 

I’m completely changing the tone and focus on my production which is fine! I’d rather make this realization and change now rather than further down the line when I’m deep into the project. It's okay to start over and change paths because I knew that something was missing with my original plot idea, I just couldn't pinpoint what it was. I liked the ideas that I came up with but I wasn't absolutely thrilled about them. I don't want to complete this project with the "let's get this over with" mentality. I want to have fun with this project and enjoy the process. This is my final project for this class and I want to make it a good one! See you in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment