Monday, April 6, 2020

Portfolio Project: Interventions are fun!

NOTE: I know this blog is sort of long so I thought I'd insert pictures of me and my sister so that it's a lot more entertaining for you to read! And because we're the most adorable dynamic duo you'll ever see! Enjoy the pictures, onto the blog! :)



My sister had a little intervention with me yesterday that was very much needed. That morning my mom noticed something was wrong with me. She asked me what was bothering me and I told her that I was frustrated because I still didn't know how I was going to film this project. She said that she was willing to help me come up with ideas but of course I tried to figure it out on my own because I like being independent which later came to bite me in the butt. I can be stubborn sometimes when it comes to asking for help because I like to solve it myself rather than have too many people get involved in the situation.


I was in my sister's room trying to film something and I told her how frustrated and upset I was because I wasn't able to come up with anything. I also told her about how that morning I woke up and the very first thing on my mind was the project, I just laid in bed thinking about how I was going to film this and how stressed, anxious, and overwhelmed I was feeling. She told me that she could tell how much this was taking a toll on me and how stressed I looked in general. She would see me working on blogs at crazy hours of the night and was concerned.


It wasn't until she explained to me how my brain was probably overworked and exhausted from how much energy I was putting in trying to finish this project that I realized I needed to take a mental break. She was right, ever since we've been quarantined I've been working on this project every single day for hours at a time. She explained to me that there was no harm in taking a break to just calm my brain and regroup. I was trying to function and get work done with a brain that was drained of creative power. I didn't physically feel tired but doing the same thing nonstop was not healthy and my family was able to see that. I guess I just got so caught up in producing a good opening and getting it done that I didn't even notice how it was affecting me and my well being. She recommended that I not work on my project or even think about it for the rest of the day and that's exactly what I did. Obsessing over the project wasn't going to help me progress, it was holding me back.


Coming up with concepts and ideas is something that I usually have no problem with doing. She knows that I was frustrated because I'm so used to being creative and things like this come naturally to me. But again, because my brain was so tired, nothing I did was working and I was upset with myself.


She reassured me that I'm doing an amazing job, I've done my best and my dedication will show through my work, I just have to relax and have fun with the process. This project started out fun and then turned into me overworking myself to the point where my other family members noticed and I had to be told to stop working. When your body is telling you to rest and you ignore it and keep forcing yourself to work, you'll eventually crash and burn. I don't want to continue down that road or experience that feeling again because it's not healthy.


I'm so glad I have an amazing sister that was able to sit me, her older sister, down and be honest and tell me things that I definitely needed to hear. This was a lesson that I'll carry with me for the rest of my life because it's a lesson that some, unfortunately, learn the hard way. We are so close to the end of the project! I started strong and I intend to finish strong. I hope the pictures helped make it more interesting to read! I'll see you in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment