Friday, April 10, 2020

Portfolio Project: Editing!!

Now it's time for the fun part! I already started editing all of the footage together and really wrapping it all up! I found this awesome video editing app called Videoleap and I loved all the features in it and how easy it was to use.

The only con about Videoleap is that it wouldn't let me add the preexisting voice-over recording from the audio file Keira sent me to the video so I had to use iMovie to edit the voice over in but that wasn't a big issue. I'm used to having to use different editing apps to edit a video to get it the way I want it since some apps have features that others don't.


I found the perfect song that I had been looking for but it was too fast and high pitched. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use foul language in blogs so I'm just going to say that it had to sound kick butt. So I slowed the tempo down and pitched her voice down to give off a more grungy, rock star vibe instead of the high pitched energetic vibe.


This is what editing my film project looked like in the beginning stages. As you can see all that I had at that point was the first opening credit introducing the production company. I was trying to find which font I liked best and I ended up picking this font because it looks likes a superhero font, I don't know if that makes sense but it looks like a font you'd see in the Marvel universe. The font name is Orbitron, come on that totally sounds like something out of Marvel or DC Comics.


I had so much playing with different filters and editing the tone, saturation, and opacity of the coloring. Lighting was a very important aspect of the opening because different moods needed to be conveyed at certain parts and the lighting had to be edited just right so that the right mood was felt by the viewer. For example, in the very beginning, the coloring of the shot of Zora's mother walking is completely different compared to the rest of the film because the time period of that shot is the 80's. Editing the lighting in the opening shot was a lot more complicated because I had to make it look like it was filmed in the '80s but I think it looks pretty believable. The lighting plays a key roll in assisting the narration to tell the story.

      

The first picture is what my point of view was while I was editing. I zoomed in so that everything wasn't so congested while I was editing. I don't like things being so close together and overlapping because I get confused and I loath confusion. The second picture you see is an overall view of what my entire film project looked like in the editing app. Every edit, filter, text, shot, etc. and that's not even including the voice over.

If you notice in the second picture the credit is in black and the shadowing behind it is a bubble gum pink. To get that shadowy effect I had to edit the text of each individual credit so that effect remained the same throughout the opening.


 I think the credits look so cool and figuring out the placement of credits was strategic and all based on what was happening in the shot and who/ what was being credited. For example, when the credit "Song title: Because I am a girl" in the opening the song says "because I am a girl". Those are little details that I pay attention to because it could really enhance the experience the viewer has watching your production.

 


I wanted to show you a little bit of what the editing process looks like for me and how it's going so far! When I first started the editing process I'd ask my sister if it looked okay and if there was anything that looked wrong, if I should change/ add anything, basically just asking for constant reassurance because I really want this to look the best it can. I saw a post somewhere that said that when an artist is editing or reviewing their work, they tend to over-analyze and criticize their work because they've looked at it so many times that their eye is trained to see flaws. When it comes to creating things like this, I'm my biggest critic. I'm not saying that I don't like my opening it's just that I've re-watched it a million times and I can't really tell if it's good or if I'm just being biased because it's my project. When someone else watches your production for the first time they're seeing it with a fresh perspective so that's why I was asking for her input. She said it looked good so hopefully she's right. See you in the next blog!

1 comment: