Sunday, March 8, 2020

Portfolio Project: Zora's lair

Zora's lair
Zora is the narrator of my film opening and she's the last one to introduce herself. I want her introduction to take place in her lair where she does the majority of her crime-fighting work. There will be a board of past cases and criminals that they've taken down on her wall and a desk with laptops and technical equipment. I really want the fact that she is a computer genius to be made clear to the audience and that means that I will have to make props. In this blog I will be showing you some ideas and inspirations that I got from, you guessed it, Pinterest! 

My sister, Aneesa is playing Zora just in case you forgot!


Ideas for the board on her wall with past cases & criminals:




  
Key components of the board are pictures and documents with the classic red string connecting them on the wall. Sticky notes will be on her wall and it will have names and different information listed on them. The goal is to make it look like an overwhelming collage of bad guys and their personal information.

The technical gear in her lair:




Lighting
This is exactly why I love going on Pinterest to receive inspiration because I didn't even consider a lighting scheme for her lair but now that I'm looking at rooms with this computer set up, I like the concept of there being like a purple or pink light in her introduction. Pink is a feminine color and since this film opening is about female empowerment, that would be expected but maybe blue. When we studied colors and their meaning in mise-en-scene we learned that the color blue is associated with dominance, intelligence, and business. That color would work because Zora is dominant- the leader of the group, intelligent- computer hacking genius, and business- works with clients directly and handles all of the paperwork before working on cases. The color blue is also commonly associated with masculinity so it would be ironic for her room to be blue and the whole concept of the film opening is female empowerment. Speaking of, happy International Women's Day!!!

The computers won't be hard to find because I will be using my computer, my sister's computer and my mom's work computer as props. I don't have a computer chair but that's not the focus of the scene so I'm not too worried about the chair we use not being a wheely computer chair. I have a purple plug in light that I could use if I can't figure out how to change the color to blue. 


Purple still would work because it's not pink and is still affiliated with femininity but not as much as pink so If I can't figure out how to change it blue, I'll keep it purple. I'll post a blog with details on lighting later on.

In the last blog, I posted on finalized filming locations I decided that Zora's introduction will be filmed in a garage and I still think that is the right choice production-wise. I have to have space to film all of the shots and for the props to fit in the room and actually be seen in the opening that's why I chose to film in a garage.

This blog was for me to share my ideas with you guys on Zora's lair and some inspirations I have for props and the lighting. The props will probably be the hardest part of creating Zora's lair and figuring out how to change my light from purple to blue. Like always, I will keep you all up to date on my progress and inform you of any changes that I make. I'll see you in the next blog!

Source:
Silbermann, Ben. “Pinterest.” Pinterest, 2010, www.pinterest.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment