Thursday, March 26, 2020

Portfolio Project: I have no idea what's happening right now

Mid-project crisis.


Trying to figure out how I'm going to shoot this is honestly so hard for me because it could be so simple but I'm over complicating it. I tend to overthink so in my head bigger is better and in terms of this project that translates to "the more complex it is, the technique and visuals, the better". I struggle with the "less is more" concept so trying to brainstorm a new storyboard for the opening is frustrating me.

I have no idea what I want the concept to be or if I even want my sister, who's playing Zora, in it. I'd love to have her in it but right now I don't know how I'm going to make having Zora in the opening fit cohesively with the rest of the opening. I don't know if I'd have her revealed in the beginning or towards the end of the opening, I don't know how much or what she's specifically going to say in the narration or if there's even going to be a narration. A lot of stuff is up in the air right now and this part of the process is the worst because everything functions in sequential order so without having the key element that determines literally every decision you make regarding your production (the concept/ main purpose/ intended message), you really don't have anywhere to go. And this is where I am right now. I don't have that much time left to still be in the brainstorming stage so I'm hoping writing all of my thought out in this blog will help me think of a solution to my mid-project crisis!

When we had a conference meeting with Mrs. Stoklosa she was saying that our openings did not have to have actors and there doesn't even have to be people in it. There are so many unique ways to film an opening but I just have to get creative and think until I have some sort of epiphany. I researched a few examples of film openings that I liked and most of them didn't incorporate people in them but I still don't know how I'm going to introduce Zora, her sisters, and the fact that they're a group of vigilantes. I like the film opening concept where the camera is just panning around the living space of the character. The film example from Back to the Future was so cool and I learned a lot about the character without physically seeing them or being introduced to them through a narration. A pan is a very simple camera movement but with editing techniques and engaging shots, I think I would be able to execute this concept well.

I'm planning on drawing a storyboard and having somewhat of an idea about what I'm going to film soon. I was hoping that I'd be filming and editing by now but that's unfortunately not the case so I have to come up with something good and fast. I really think I can do something cool with the panning idea but I still don't know if I'd include a narration or not. Hopefully, I'll figure that out soon but like always, I'll keep you guys updated! See you in the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment