Sunday, March 22, 2020

Portfolio Project: film opening examples PART 2

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
This film opening was very interesting to watch, to say the least. Even though there wasn't a character introduced, based on the title you can put together that the black ink and all of the unique ways it was displayed in the scene have some correlation to the character since she is referred to as "the girl with the dragon tattoo". The alternative rock music also contributed to the tone of the opening because it was fast-paced and when paired with the fast-paced editing, it did a great job insinuating what the tone of the rest of the film will be. It was abstract but the use of sound, the dark lighting and the quick shots with the black ink really helped give off an edgy vibe.






Seven (1995)
This film opening is so. creepy. but that is exactly what the tone that needed to be conveyed. The director wanted their audience to feel on edge, terrified and creeped out which they executed beautifully in my opinion because they definitely evoked all of these emotions out of me personally. It's like a psychological thriller and I love how it feels like they're messing with your mind a little bit with the eery music and the off-putting images flashed quickly. The specific font that was used, the editing, specificity of shots, it all worked cohesively to create this feeling like you're watching a real-life nightmare.






The types of shots that were used in this opening were great and I liked how they were edited to give off the intended scary vibe. 

Most of the openings I researched that had what I wanted visually didn't have a voiceover which is fine because writing the script is not going to be a challenge, it's compiling the shots together to match the voiceover. I think I picked some good openings to research because they're drastically different in style/ tone and have unique elements in them that I want to incorporate into my production. I'm going to continue to look for other film openings that are similar to the concept that I have for my film opening so that I can get even more inspiration. I'll keep you updated, see you in the next blog!

Source:
Morrill, Jenny, et al. “50 Brilliant Movie Opening Credits Sequences.” Den of Geek, 27 June 2014, www.denofgeek.com/movies/50-brilliant-movie-opening-credits-sequences/.


No comments:

Post a Comment