Monday, April 12, 2021

Portfolio Project 2021: Social Media Page Research

Hello everyone! I am currently developing and still continuing to post content on TAOM's social media page so I did some research. Since The Hustle is the closest film to mine in terms of plot I researched their Instagram page. 

They incorporated their tagline into their Instagram bio which I think is genius so I'm going to incorporate my film's tagline into our social media page. I'm adding it as we speak! Our tagline is "...How bad can a girl truly be?" but I don't think it would make sense to add it in the bio. Currently in the bio I have "Welcome to the official Instagram page for the film The Art of Manipulation" and I don't think pairing the tagline with this would look or sound right. I think I'm going to incorporate the tagline for the caption of a post. That would make more sense. Another idea just came to me maybe I can add the tagline into the bio. Maybe the bio could say something like "Welcome to the official Instagram page for the film The Art of Manipulation where the question How bad can a girl truly be? is answered." I like the sound of that!

Something that I noticed immediately was the frequent use of video footage compared to images. The ratio between images and videos is not close to being equal. They use text in their social media posts so that the audience is being informed through both the post itself and its caption. Their social media page also utilizes black and gold as the main colors associated with the film. Since the movie poster consisted of black and white, they are continuing this theme through their social media page by frequently using black and gold costuming, text, and other mise-en-scene elements. This contributes to the film's branding as viewers will be able to easily identify the film because they associate the colors black and gold. They're using the film's Instagram page to create a cohesive sense of branding. I'll have to be more conscious with the coloring of my posts since color palettes are equally as important as the posts' content.


Their captions are simplistic and consist of their film's hashtag and important release dates (Blu-Ray release). I like how their captions are relevant to the film but they're short and sweet. The captions get straight to the point but they're engaging. The captions of the posts are relatable to their target audience and I personally think some of them are funny.




I also noticed that a lot of the posts are recycled images and footage from previous posts but the content of the post is different. In the pictures below the same exact image of Anne Hathaway is used in both of these posts but the purpose of the posts are different. The one post is to inform viewers of the film's digital release and the other is to remind viewers to vote for the film for the People's Choice Awards. 


I circled 3 posts on The Hustle's Instagram page that had the exact same image and 2 other posts that used the same images. These posts weren't posted that far apart from each other. 


I was honestly shocked that they were recycling their images and footage and just changing the content of the post. I would have thought that reusing images/ footage would've been something that was frowned upon but I thought wrong. I guess I was thinking of this social media page from the perspective of a member of Gen Z that would never EVER repost content that has already been seen. But this is a promotional social media page, not a personal one so I can't think about the posts through that lens.

It was interesting researching The Hustle's Instagram page because it helped me think of my film's social media page in a different light. I like the direction that their marketing team decided to go in. It's relatable and engaging which as a consumer I appreciate but as a creator, I am inspired by. See you in the next blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment