Friday, April 16, 2021

Portfolio Project 2021: CCR Planning: Representation

I wanted to answer this specific question in a blog because I just wanted to get my ideas out so I don't forget what I want to say in my CCR.

Why is representation important?

Representation is crucial in my opinion to any form of media because it is supposed to reflect aspects of our lives. Accurate representation is meant to connect and create a sense of relatability between parts of a production and the viewer. 

Who are you representing in your film?

In my film, I am representing a few different groups. 

The first group being represented is women.  I tend to use the theme of female empowerment in my film productions because there's a lot that can be said about women and their experiences in society. In the films that I have researched throughout this entire project, most of them have 2 female lead characters. That's powerful in terms of female empowerment because it's demonstrating unity amongst women. I've never watched Endgame but I assume the concept of women coming together to manipulate men out of money is similar to marvel superheroes uniting to defeat a common enemy. 

The second group being represented is siblings, more specifically sisters. Siblings are typically shown in media having either a really close relationship or a broken relationship. It was important for me to include this sibling dynamic into the film's concept because it contributes to conveying the theme of female empowerment but it portrays a positive sibling dynamic. My sister and I are close in real life and we're told how rare our relationship dynamic all of the time because we actually get along. In this film Azlynn and Aurora are sisters but they're best friends, just like Aneesa and I are. I wanted to reflect our relationship as sisters in this film through Azlynn and Aurora. I know that not all siblings have healthy relationship dynamics but for this particular piece, I did not want to represent a negative sibling dynamic even though those types of sibling relationships certainly do exist. In all honesty, I don't think that my sister and I would have been able to act like we didn't like each other, it would've been hard to film if that was the case.

The third represented group is African Americans. There are plenty of comedy and crime films that include African Americans but a lot of the times the characters that they're portraying are stereotypes or they're made to be the butt of the joke. There's no level of class 

The last group represented is those with a higher socioeconomic status. Regardless of Azlynn obtains money, she still has a lot of it which makes her and Aurora members of the upper class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment