Saturday, February 22, 2020

Portfolio Project Planning: Part Two!!

Music for the opening:

Okey dokey! This is one of the components of any production is the sound element! The sound projects that we've done in this class were actually some of my favorite assignments because I find it so fascinating how sound can take your production to the next level. I think it is so much fun and a film's soundtrack can make or break the production. It is so imperative that the music captures the essence of the scene because if it fails to do so, the scene will not have the intended effect on the viewer that the director desired. It is such a crucial and detail-oriented part of the production process and I can not wait to research songs and experiment with different sound effects and possibly create a Foley stage to enhance the sounds in the opening.

I'm pretty certain that I will not be choosing a copyrighted song because of how long it might take for me to be granted permission from the artist so I will be researching royalty-free music first. It's the easiest way for me to find music that I can have access to immediately. I also need time to edit the music and add sound effects to the audio so the sooner I find the song the better!

There isn't really a specific genre of music that I want to research but I do know the sound that I'm going for based on the atmosphere of the film opening. I want to find something that is upbeat and fits well with the voice-over narration that will be playing during the scene. The song really does have to be as close to perfect as possible because it has to accurately convey the message that the actions in the scene are. Another thing that I can do is mix songs together if there are certain parts in one song that I want to incorporate in the audio.

The overall scene is going to be very fast-paced and intense so the song has to match its energy. I chose to search rock songs first because when I think of rock I think of high energy and intense sound so I  wanted to listen to some royalty-free songs in this genre. I would like for each character to have their own theme song that plays while the voiceover is giving their background information so I searched royalty-free rock songs on youtube and found some good ones for me to start off with. I will be using audio transitions like swoosh sound effects, for example, to transition from each character's theme song and this will be a cue that the narration is going to move on to introducing another character.

So far these are the possibilities for music:



We also went looking for film locations today!!

My mom drove us through Margate, North Lauderdale, Coral Springs, and Pembroke Pines to look for good filming locations. We drove through neighborhoods and local areas that we thought might work for settings in my film opening. It was raining today so we really weren't able to get out and walk around these places to find specific buildings or anything like that but it was still really fun getting out of Weston and exploring different parts of South Florida. It is a completely different world than the one I'm used to seeing every day and that's why I enjoyed it so much! I really liked Margate and North Lauderdale because they are close to each other and these areas match the settings I'm envisioning for my film opening. 

Here are some pictures of the areas we drove through in the different cities today:












I don't know if you can see it well in the picture or not but we saw three rainbows today while we were out! It was so cool, okay continuing on with the blog...

We also went costume shopping at the Salvation Army Thrift Store at their Pembroke Pines and Margate locations!!


Shopping is literally one of my favorite things to do! I had the basic idea of all the actresses costumes so I was mentally checking off the list of items I need for each character and they're not completely finished but 75% of the costumes are complete minus some accessories.
Salvation Army Thrift Store: Margate location




Thrifting was a blast and such a success because I had help!



I tried on this leather jacket that I thought would look amazing on one of my actresses!



My sister trying on some articles of clothing for me... reluctantly.


My friend sent me some photos of her in black tank tops and this is the one I liked the most!


I thought that this mesh top was so cool! I still have to figure out who's going to wear it.

Today was such a fun day and I can't wait to complete all of the actress's costumes! We did have some setbacks because of the rainy weather today but we improvised and we still managed to get a lot accomplished which I am so grateful for! I still want to continue looking for music and hopefully make a decision soon but I don't want to rush the process because it is a critical element of the film opening. I will keep you guys up to date on how things are going with everything involving the project, I'll see you in the next blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment