Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Portfolio Project: Film opening concepts

Roses are red, violets are blue
I have to pick a concept and I don't know which one to choose!

Hello blog viewers! I am currently sitting in class trying to figure out how I'm going to shoot the film opening and I'm blanking so hard. It's not because I don't have any ideas but I have so many ideas that I can't decide! I have to come to a conclusion somehow so I guess I'm just going to have to brainstorm on here and share my ideas with you guys and hopefully that way my mind will make up its mind and pick a storyboard concept. (that's a funny way of phrasing it but I'm sure you understand what I mean).

First I want to type my ideas out so that it makes sense to you and me so we both understand what my ideas are exactly because, in all honesty, I don't even know what my ideas are yet. 

Film opening version #1:

This version will be highlighting all of the individual girls in their normal, everyday lives. For Bria, there would be shots of her working on a car, skateboarding to the gym and then her working out in the gym (punching a punching bag, running on a treadmill, lifting weights, etc.) all while chewing gum. For Luana's introduction, she would be dancing on a stage with only the lights focusing on her, and then she would be walking into the library and I'd get a shot of her putting money into a donation jar outside of the library and some shots of her in the library volunteering. I would then transition to Valencia in a store shopping while on the phone with someone and then show her in her room with all of her clothes laid out on the bed and her still talking on the phone. She'd be in a robe with a face mask on and just being overdramatic with her facial expressions and hand movements. Zora would be giving the descriptions of everyone through the voiceover and then she would give some background information on herself at the end. She would be sitting at her table with her computers, her wall full of papers with information on criminals, missions they've been on, etc. and it would be set up like her lair. They would all then walk as a group in slow motion and open up a garage door with a man tied up to a chair with duck tape around his mouth. They would walk upon him and he would start wiggling around scared and then the music would cut out and the screen would go black.

Film opening version #2:
This film opening would be of the girls on a mission about to take down the bad guy. It would start with Luana walking her dog and following the criminal, she would pop the tires of his car outside of the gym. Then it would cut to with Bria working out at the gym that the criminal is at and watching him closely. Bria would leave the gym when the criminal does and once she sees him notice his flat tires, she'd offer to change his tire. She would fix the tire but would secretly implant a tracking device under his car. Valencia would enter an elevator with him and her hands would be full of groceries. Valencia would be talking to someone on the phone about an undercover deal that is going to happen later that night. This would pique the interest of the criminal and he doesn't know it yet, but he just fell into the girls trap. Later in the scene, I would want Aneesa to be in the driver seat of a car and watching the bad guy's house. She'd be using binoculars and on her computer looking at all of his information like bank statements, personal information, criminal records, etc. Since she's a highly intelligent hacker it makes sense for her to be on a stakeout and using her hacking skills to hack into his housing system and cut off all the lights and electricity in his house. The scene would cut to him tied up in the garage with all of the girls surrounding him and he recognizes them from earlier that day and realizes he's been set up.

Film opening version #3:

In this version of my film opening, all of the characters are going to start out walking in slow motion as a group in their crime-fighting costumes. I would want Aneesa's voice over to start giving background information on Bria first and then all of the other character's introductions would follow. They'd end up in a restaurant and Luana would go to the criminal undercover as a waitress and both Valencia and Bria would be hostess. Once they see the criminal enter the bathroom all of the girls would follow him into the bathroom and surround him. The scene would then cut to the criminal in a dark room with a mask over his head and the girls would take off the mask revealing themselves to him and then they'd close in on him.

Actually, now that I've written all 3 ideas out, I think I'm going to go with the first film opening version just because I like it a lot and I think I can do it. I really like the idea of the second one but when it comes to pulling off this type of film opening, a lot is required production-wise. It wouldn't be impossible but it would be pretty difficult to film and edit so I think the first option would go good visually with the voiceover and the filming and editing process will be so much more enjoyable. One of the biggest things that I took away from the video we watched in class about storytelling is that you have to actually enjoy your concept because if not, you won't be motivated to put forth an effort to improve it. I love the second concept but when it comes to enjoying the filming process, I am going to go with the first concept. One thing I can do is maybe figure out a way to incorporate some elements of the second concept into the first but as of now, I am going to be sticking to the first concept.

I think I want some sort of plot twist or something that adds shock value to the end of the opening. I think maybe having the criminal say that he is actually their mother's son or that their mom isn't actually dead and he knows of her whereabouts, I'm not sure yet but I definitely want something to be said at the end that really takes the viewer by surprise.

Alrighty that is what I wanted to cover in this week's blog posting because I've been going back and forth on it in my mind for the longest time and I'm still not 100% sure that I want to do the first opening option, I'm like 90% there but again I don't want to be satisfied with the concept, I want to be in love and over the moon about it because that will make this entire process more enjoyable and I can be proud of my final result! I'll keep you all updated, see you in the next blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment